Meditation Project: Silence

The Infinite Recognition by Rene Magritte

This year is about experimenting and finding out what works for me and what doesn't. I learned very quickly that committing to report to you, my readers, on my practice really helped me stay on track. And this week I heard from a couple of people that my reports have helped them meditate regularly. That makes me happier than I can say!

I also learned this week that I prefer a self-guided meditation because I like the (relative) silence rather than listening to a voice. And I also found this week that I'm really starting to cherish the silence, which is a new development for me.

This week I did practice six days as I committed to but for the first time I skipped a day when I usually practice, Friday. That was because I went out of town for the day with friends and didn't make it home until dinner time. So I made up for the missed day by practicing on Saturday, the day I usually take off. 

The reason I originally committed to six days instead of seven was because I knew that if I had a strict schedule with no days off it would make me feel a bit trapped, which might discourage me from practicing at all (I get a bit rebellious sometimes). Knowing I have a day off makes me feel more relaxed about the whole project.

But now I also know that it gives me a bit of leeway so if there's a day where practicing is going to be extremely challenging, I can always make it up on another day.

Here's my meditation diary for the week.


Sunday, February 17, 2019

Practiced Legs up the Wall with instructions to "be spacious." I found imagery of puffy white clouds in a blue sky like I'd seen during the day floating through my mind. I also thought of the Emily Dickinson poem:


THE BRAIN is wider than the sky, 

For, put them side by side, 

The one the other will include 

With ease, and you beside.
Monday, February 18, 2019

I practiced my own form of Loving-Kindness, without a recording. This was the day I realized how much I was starting to love the silence. Is this a result of continued practiced? Or simply because I tried a guided meditation for a number of days and now have a contrast? 

Tuesday, February 19, 2019


Practiced my own form of Loving-Kindness again. I got very quiet. Although I have lots of thoughts flowing through my mind, I also find I can stay on track with the four phrases without my mind wandering so far off that I miss one. 

Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Practiced my own form of Loving-Kindess again. I got quiet very quickly this time! And I'm actually starting to like this experience. Haha, took long enough.

Thursday, February 21, 2019

Practiced my own form of Loving-Kindess again. I was in a warm room after lunch, and felt like maybe I got too quiet (I'm not quiet sure what is quiet and what is sleepy—seems like a fine line). I added some extra meditation time after the final chime went off. That extra time feels like a treat for some reason—a bonus or a dessert—because I know I don't have to do it. I'm weird sometimes.

Saturday, February 23, 2019

It was so nice to have this day as a makeup day. When I realized I needed to skip Friday (after I got home), I was so reassured I had a second chance the next day. Although I made it through the session, my breathing felt labored and uncomfortable. I don't really know why. 

by Nina Zolotow

• Subscribe to Delusiastic! here • Follow Delusiastic! on Facebook and Nina on Instagram • 

Comments

Popular Posts