Meditation Project: My "Bonus" Meditation

Night of Love by Rene Magritte

This meditation report covers a two-week period (May 26 through June 8) because I went on a short vacation. Unfortunately, I not only didn't write my weekly report due to that vacation, but I also missed a couple of days of meditating. I found it really challenging to find time and space to meditate when I was staying in a hotel room with another person (with whom I was celebrating my 40th wedding anniversary) and had a busy schedule of activities with long-time friends. For future trips away from home, I will have to figure out a way to make this work better. In the meantime, I was able to return to daily practice when I returned home, so at least I there is that.

As to my practice, well, there's not much interesting to report. I'm doing the same seated practice I have been doing for a while (using my mantra in a supported seated Hero pose), feeling more comfortable now that I'm able to more quickly let go of judgments about my performance ("Moving on!"). So I thought I'd mention that I've been doing something else regularly that really pleases me. After the final chime goes off for my meditation, I now always add on about a minute of "bonus" time. During this time, I usually mentally recite the last part of the Loving-Kindness meditation when you focus on "all beings." But recently there is someone I care about who is in hospice so instead I'm dedicating that last minute to them and just reciting "May you be peaceful." I don't actually think my wishes will have a direct effect on them, but it does my heart good to take this time to think of them on a daily basis and wish them peace.

Combining different techniques in this way allows me to work on strengthening my regular mantra practice at the same time as I can address my desire to think of others during my practice, as well as myself. Do you ever do anything like this?

by Nina Zolotow

• Subscribe to Delusiastic! here • Follow Delusiastic! on Facebook and Nina on Instagram • 




Comments

  1. When is your anniversary? Ours is June 6, and we went on an overnight trip last weekend. I did a 5-10 minute guided meditation (I often use apps online) while my spouse was in the shower. It might not feel as rich as an experience as when you are home in your space, but I would suggest that even 2 minutes of focusing on your breath "counts"! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts